Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Permanent Changes

Apparently I really need to work on keeping up with this blog, considering that the last post was about moving from Idaho to North Dakota......and now we're BACK in Idaho! ha!


Well, one thing that never changes is the cakes. I might take a break here and there because of some craziness going on in my life, but I always come back to the sugar!


Almost as soon as we got back to Idaho, the orders started rolling in! March was just FULL of cakes!


The first one was a last-minute wedding cake and two 1/4 sheet cakes. I absolutely LOVED how this cake turned out!


The top layer was snicker doodle cake, the middle lemon and the bottom chocolate. (I think? I get the flavors confused once I get them covered in fondant! lol!)



Th real roses were just gorgeous! Thanks to Buds and Bloomers florist in Pocatello for the flowers!




We have some very good friends in Malad. We pretty much consider the Higley's family now though, not just friends! They've all got a herd of kids just like we do now, so there's always a birthday coming up! I would have done Roper's cake, but his party was THE weekend we moved back home and I just didn't have time to get everything unpacked to make a cake!


Jason and Laura had a baby on the way that was making life hard on his momma, so since she was just coming off of bed rest, there was NO WAY I was going to let her make Autumn's birthday cake herself! I made her a cute little Dora the Explorer cake, complete with fondant Map and Backpack!





Now I'm doing her cousin Kambrea's Minnie Mouse cake this weekend! Thanks Higley's!

Our neighbors are also frequent flyers at Wild Sugar now! It was their nephew that the red and black wedding cake from earlier in the month was for! Their oldest turned 18 and he decided that was a pretty important date and had a birthday party! So I made him a big number 18 camouflage cake to help him celebrate! They had originally picked a different flavor, but I had taken them some snicker doodle cupcakes earlier in the week, and they decided they wanted the birthday cake snicker doodle too! That flavor is definitely rising to the top of the "Most Requested" list!


 (Sorry about the poor picture quality. I kinda forgot to take a picture of this one before it left the house, so it's a cell phone shot from Becci!)

Then their youngest Matisyn turned 2, so they ordered her favorite Minnie Mouse in vanilla cake with buttercream!



Cute little Minnie cupcakes!




This one was frosted in buttercream with fondant accents. Buttercream still is not my favorite to work with, but i'm getting better with it!

One weekend I had TWO cakes to have ready Saturday night. One was for a little girls birthday party and the other was for a baby shower at church. It was the first time I'd finished two big cakes at once! CRAZY day though! Thank goodness for a daddy that takes his boys fishing to get them out from under mom's feet!!

The birthday cake was themed after the movie Tangled, which I LOVE, so I was totally excited to do this one! The little details were so much fun! Everything but the Rapunzel doll was edible! Even the chocolate "rocks"! 


The baby shower cake was more basic, but still very cute! I love the clean look of the circles. I forgot to ask Pastor Penny what flavor she wanted, so I took the liberty of choosing my favorite chocolate cake recipe with fudge filling!



What is really sad is, my baby girl Whitley turned one on March 23rd. Know what kind of cake she got? You would think that someone that makes these elaborate birthday cakes for everyone would make her own kids cool cakes, right? 

Wrong....................... She got....




this......












Seriously. 

She got plain ol' cupcakes.... I was so busy with the other cakes, and my husband finally moved back down here with us the day after her birthday, so I didn't plan her a party or make her own special cake! She still seemed to enjoy it though, special elaborate cake or not! 



I have two in mind that I want to make her, and I've already bought the Tinker Belle and My Little Pony dolls to go with them, and I figure that she's not going to know the difference anyways, right? So she will still get her cake (maybe even two! lol!) it will just be a month or so late. And she will be none-the-wiser in 15 years when she's looking through pictures wondering why we "forgot" her first birthday! 


So that was my March Madness (and the first of April)!

 I'm looking forward to possibly doing another wedding cake soon in gorgeous yellow and blue, and maybe helping my cousin make her brother's wedding cake in June. 

I'm also excited about the possibility of getting orders for wedding cakes at our church! They just bought the former Booth Barn (for those of you who know us, YES! That's the place Chuck and I got married! Cool, right?!) and will still rent it out as an event center like it was before, just new and improved as the Harvest Church and Events center! 





No comments:

Post a Comment