Friday, August 28, 2009

My first wedding cake!!

I did this for a good friend of mine. I was a little hesitant about her colors when she told me what she wanted, but it turned out REALLY cute! There were a few learning lessons with this one. They didn't serve cake at the reception, so they only wanted the top tier of the cake to be actual cake so they could cut it. We decided the bottom would be a cake dummy and the middle was rice krispy treats. Both were new to me as far as covering in fondant! Both were relatively easy though. I was pleasantly surprised! I DID have some issues with the fondant though. I figured out that i do not like to make it ahead of time and then tint it later. I had WAY too many air bubbles in it and it got too stretchy and tore really easy. So i'll stick to making it as i go from now on!
Here are the three tiers before they were put together and decorated. 

Here are the bottom two layers, covered and doweled!
 
The cake table! I was a little worried about the topper squashing through the cake, because it was kind of heavy. It started leaning a bit, but it made it to the cake cutting ok!

I was informed by the brides mother (a good family friend, she's our babysitter!) that it is bad luck to put horseshoes that way. Apparently your luck falls out! So i turned them the "right" way before guests showed up. I wont make that mistake again!

No comments:

Post a Comment